Central Hudson is developing a Training Academy and Transmission and Distribution Primary Control Center adjacent to our existing facility located on Ulster Avenue in Lake Katrine. The entire project will be developed in phases over several years.
This new facility will allow Central Hudson to establish a single dedicated and centralized training facility to enable scenario-based training for our employees. The Training Academy and a more formalized and centralized approach to training is necessary because of: (1) the changing demographics, unprecedented needs and growth of our workforce, (2) emerging industry trends and technological advances, (3) increased and/or developing regulatory and safety standards, and (4) evolving customer expectations.
Central Hudson plans to also utilize the training academy to provide training and educational resources to local and regional first responders.
Co-located at the facility will be a new Transmission and Distribution Primary Control Center, which will enhance Central Hudson’s ability to monitor and control the natural gas and electric infrastructure and is critical for the reliable and safe coordination of the energy delivery system serving our region.
- The Training Academy will feature offices and classrooms, a separate indoor operations training area, an outdoor gas “village,” and simulated electric transmission and distribution pole yards.
- It will offer hands-on and scenario-based training opportunities for all Central Hudson employees. The facilities will provide a safe and controlled environment that simulates actual conditions on the electric and natural gas systems for training purposes. Classrooms will offer programs to further employee development. This centralized facility will also allow Central Hudson to provide instructional support for contractors and create significant opportunities to coordinate with educational institutions, municipal and emergency services agencies, while fostering continued, meaningful partnerships in the communities in which we operate.
- The site will provide a back-up location for Central Hudson’s Customer Contact Center for use during emergencies in accordance with our Disaster Recovery Plan.
- Typical hours of operation will be Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
Electric Transmission and Distribution Primary Control Center
- A new Electric Transmission and Distribution Primary Control Center will be developed adjacent to the new Training Academy. The new space will house both the existing Transmission System Operations and Distribution Dispatch Center, including additional staffing for the new Distribution Management System (DMS). The facility will include a data center for the Emergency Management System and DMS servers as well as office space, conference rooms and training areas for the managerial and support staff.
- Primary Control Center maintains around-the-clock operations.
- The Training Academy and Primary Control Center will share a common lobby and appear as though they are one contiguous building; however, they will be physically separated to ensure that the Primary Control Center is in conformance with the North American Reliability Corporation (NERC) Critical Infrastructure Protection (“CIP”) Security Compliance Standards, to provide redundancy and to meet or exceed all regulations to ensure reliable service to our customers.
Project Benefits for the Neighborhood:
- Enhanced electric service reliability due to the critical nature of the Primary Control Center.
- Improvements to the local water infrastructure as a result of the new facility, that will provide redundancy in the local water system to provide continuous service during an emergency.
- Increase in Town of Ulster’s tax base.
- Increase in number of jobs in Ulster County.
- Additional patronage to area businesses.