A Brief History
In 1900, three men – Thaddeus Beal, his father William R. Beal and John Wilkie – purchased two companies which provided 5,000 Newburgh, New York customers with electricity and gas.
It was a bold move to reach beyond the economic activity of the city into a sparsely populated region, but Beal, Wilkie, and their associates recognized the need for consolidation of the many separate electric and gas companies serving our region. Over the next 25 years these men realized their vision. With the emergence of new energy technology and through the merger of 80-plus independent electric and gas companies, the Central Hudson Gas & Electric Corporation was formed.
The year 2000 saw the formation of CH Energy Group, Inc., a holding company/parent organization of Central Hudson Gas & Electric Corporation and a family of subsidiaries known as Central Hudson Enterprises Corporation. And in 2013 CH Energy Group and Central Hudson joined Fortis Inc.’s federation of utility companies. The merger, which was voted for by CH Energy Group shareholders, took place following state and federal regulatory approvals. It provided Central Hudson with improved access to capital to make infrastructure improvements and provided customers with nearly $50 million in financial benefits.
Central Hudson offers electricity and natural gas, along with superior energy services for our residential and business customers. We are a well-established energy company with a tradition of business excellence and commitment to dynamic growth. We are striving to create greater value for our customers, fulfillment for our employees and profitable growth for our investors.