Central Hudson representative teaching about ways to save

Assistance Programs

We're here to help should you ever experience financial difficulties or need special assistance. These programs are designed to help reduce undue stress, get you back on track and avoid falling behind on payments:

We are continuing with the suspension of service disconnections until Dec. 21, 2021, to lessen any hardship the COVID-19 pandemic may have caused.

If you’re a residential customer OR small business customer with 25 or fewer employees and have experienced a change in your financial circumstances as a result of the COVID-19 pandemic, you may also be eligible for special protections to avoid terminations.

Under the law, if you contact us now through Dec. 21, 2021, to affirm that you experienced a change in financial circumstances as a result of COVID-19: 

  • We will not disconnect your service for non-payment.
  • You will be eligible for a deferred payment agreement or can request a new agreement. 

Residential customers must attest as follows: “I attest that due to the COVID-19 state of emergency, which began on March 7, 2020, I have experienced a change in financial circumstances.”

Small business customers must attest as follows: “I attest that due to the COVID-19 state of emergency, which began on March 7, 2020, the business that I own or am an officer of has experienced a change in financial circumstances.”  Small business customers must also certify and provide appropriate documentation that:

  • The business currently has 25 or fewer employees.
  • The business is not a publicly held company, or a subsidiary thereof.
  • The business is not a seasonal, short-term or temporary customer of Central Hudson.

Don’t wait - contact us today to get the financial assistance you need. You must contact us by Dec. 21, 2021. Call 845-452-2700 to speak with a customer service representative.

How it works: Once a Home Energy Assistance Program (HEAP) benefit is received, or Central Hudson has verified you received HEAP, a monthly credit will be applied to that Central Hudson account for 12 consecutive months. The amount of the bill discount credit is based on the service type and amount of HEAP benefit.

Who it's for: Verified HEAP recipients who are also enrolled in Budget Billing.

How to apply: Natural gas and electric heating customers who receive a HEAP benefit are automatically enrolled. Customers relying on other heating sources are automatically enrolled when Central Hudson is notified by the HEAP department. 

More program details

How it Works: Budget Billing makes your energy bills more predictable so you can better plan your household budget. It works by spreading your energy costs evenly over 12 months. This avoids seasonal bill fluctuations and makes payment due amounts predictable and uniform for 11 months based on your actual usage history. The bill for the 12th month includes an annual plus-or-minus adjustment to reflect the actual costs you incurred throughout the year. 

Who it's for: Any residential customer who would like to receive a consistent amount due on their energy bill. Some of our assistance programs also require Budget Billing enrollment. 

How to Apply: Enroll through your Account Dashboard page.

How it works: Deferred payment agreements help customers catch up by paying a past-due account balance in monthly installments while also committing to pay current and future bills in full and on time.

How to apply: Submit the Deferred Payment Agreement request form.

Already have a deferred payment agreement in place? Refer to your payment schedule letter for payment agreement due dates and remember to pay new account charges on time to keep your account in good standing and your deferred payment agreement in effect.

The Emergency Rental Assistance Program (ERAP) will provide significant economic relief to assist households that are unable to pay rent and utilities due to the COVID-19 pandemic. Visit https://nysrenthelp.otda.ny.gov/en/ for information.

How it works: The Extra Security Plan offers an extended billing due-date for customers on a fixed income and customers who receive Social Security income, disability benefits or survivor benefits as their only source of household income. The billing due date for Extra Security Plan customers is extended to the 6th of the month following the normal bill due date.

Who it's for: Customers on a fixed income and customers who receive Social Security income, disability benefits or survivor benefits as their only source of household income.

Requirements: To participate in this program you must:

  • Be on a fixed income such as SSI, SSD, survivor benefits or a pension (proof of benefit required) as your only source of household income.
  • Be current with your Central Hudson account OR have an active Deferred Payment Agreement for any outstanding past-due balance.
  • The address listed on the application must be your primary residence.

How to apply: Submit the ESP Enrollment Application

How it works: You may purchase a gift certificate in any dollar amount for any Central Hudson customer. When you make the purchase, you may choose to remain anonymous, or we will prepare an announcement card, which will be mailed to the recipient of your gift. 

Who it's for: Gift certificates are not just for the holidays but are the perfect, practical gift for any friend, relative or loved one on any occasion.

How to purchase a gift certificate: Contact us or complete this form and send with a check or money order payable to Central Hudson to:

Central Hudson Gas & Electric
Attn: Consumer Outreach Dept.
284 South Ave.
Poughkeepsie, NY 12601

How it works: The Good Neighbor Fund provides "last resort" grants. It is administered by the Salvation Army and funded by Central Hudson customers, employees and shareholders.

Who it's for: Local residents in need who have exhausted all other forms of public and private utility assistance.

Special grant for veterans and military families: Central Hudson has made a special grant available for eligible veterans and military families served by Central Hudson, who are experiencing a financial hardship. Eligible recipients may receive a $200 grant applied to a Central Hudson account. As long as funding remains available, eligible recipients may receive this grant two times per year. Certain requirements under the Good Neighbor Fund will be waived for eligible veterans and active military personnel. Regular grants are also available for qualified military customers through the Good Neighbor Fund.

Program details and application instructions

How it works: HEAP provides both regular and emergency financial grants to eligible households to help pay heating and/or utility bills. HEAP benefits are funded and administered through the Department of Social Services. 

Who it's for: Income-eligible New Yorkers.

Income eligibility requirements and application instructions.

How it works: If you or an immediate family member who resides with you is hospitalized for a minimum of three days, you could qualify for a payment extension of up to 30 days from the date of admission to the hospital through our Help During Hospitalization program.

How to apply: Complete and submit the help during hospitalization application which must be signed by your doctor or a hospital official.

How it works: If you or someone who resides in your household needs electricity to operate a life-sustaining device you may be eligible for certain special protections and notifications through our Life Support Equipment Program.

Who it's for: This program is available to customers with a household member that requires electricity to operate life-sustaining equipment. Participation requires certification by a physician.

LSE program details  |  LSE application

How it works: Special protections offered under the NYS Home Energy Fair Practices Act include the ability to obtain a Medical Emergency Certification from your Physician or local board of health to remain interruption free effective for 30 days. The Medical Certification must be on the medical provider or local board of health’s letter head, must be signed by the physician or an official of the local board of health qualified to make a medical judgment certifying the medical condition and must state the name and address of the certifying physician or local board of health, must list the physicians state registration number, must state the name and address of the seriously ill person, must state the nature of the serious illness or medical condition and an affirmation of how it will be aggravated by the absence of utility service. The Medical Emergency Certification may be recertified if it meets additional requirements. 

How to apply: If you meet the eligibility guidelines, contact us during normal business hours: Monday through Friday from 8 am to 6 pm and Saturday from 9 am to 1 pm.

How it works: An occasion may arise when a customer is unable to respond to an important notice from Central Hudson about the status of their service or account. For such instances, we offer a voluntary program to ensure someone else – a willing "third party" – is informed of the situation. 

A customer may choose a relative, friend, clergy person, community or social service agency to receive Third Party Notifications, who will then help ensure that the customer is made aware of the situation. The Third Party is in no way responsible for paying the bill or any part of it.

Who it's for: Any customer who would benefit from having a third party receive important notifications about their Central Hudson account. This program is especially helpful to the ill, the elderly, or someone absent from home, to prevent unnecessary disconnection of services.

How to apply: Submit this application.