Central Hudson Gas & Electric Corporation and its employees provided nearly $690,000 in contributions to local not-for-profit community service and small business organizations in 2019, with nearly $7.7 million in such contributions donated during the last ten years. Employees also contributed thousands of hours as volunteers with community organizations in service and leadership roles.
“Our employees are committed to the many organizations that support our region,” said Denise D. VanBuren, Vice President of Public Relations. “We have a proud tradition of community service at Central Hudson, and we’re grateful for the dedication and willingness of our employees to give of themselves for the betterment of our communities.”
VanBuren explained some of the many ways in which financial support is offered by Central Hudson and its employees:
- An employee-led campaign for the United Way is held each year, and employee contributions to the Community Fund are matched by Central Hudson. In 2019, more than $373,000 in employee contributions and matching shareholder funds was raised in support of local agencies and programs supported United Way agencies of the Mid-Hudson Valley;
- Central Hudson extended more than $218,000 to local agencies and business groups by sponsorship of community events that raise awareness, promote the local economy and support non-profit programs.
- Individual employee contributions to community service organizations are matched the Employee Matching Gift program. During 2019, employees and Central Hudson contributed more than $42,000. “By matching employee contributions, we are able to support organizations with which our employees are involved and spread contributions throughout the communities we serve,” said VanBuren. Central Hudson will match employee gifts made to eligible 501(c)(3) organizations that provide services within the utility’s eight-county service territory of up to $500 per employee annually.
- During the year Central Hudson matched $50,000 in customer contributions to the Good Neighbor Fund, a last-resort grant toward utility bills for families and individuals facing financial hardship though a program administered by the local corps of the Salvation Army. This included special grants to veterans and military families as a part of this program.
- Each year, five employees who exemplify the spirit of volunteerism are recognized and the organizations they serve. In 2019, each organization was provided with a $1,000 contribution, for a total of $5,000, through the Community Service Award. Since 1989, 150 employees and organizations have received the Award, and nearly $77,000 has been donated.
Employees also volunteer and support many other causes, including fundraising walks, holiday food drives, neighborhood improvements, home and building repairs for vulnerable families and community agencies and more. “Our employees are dedicated to the communities we serve and show a willingness to support those in need,” said VanBuren.
In addition to community contributions, Central Hudson funded $675,000 in economic development grants to local businesses and organizations during the year. “These grants are part of our ongoing efforts to grow and retain employers and jobs in the Mid-Hudson Valley,” said VanBuren.
For more information on Central Hudson’s community service initiatives and economic development programs, visit www.CentralHudson.com/About-Us/Community.
# # #