In order to bring you the best possible user experience, this site uses Javascript. If you are seeing this message, it is likely that the Javascript option in your browser is disabled. For optimal viewing of this site, please ensure that Javascript is enabled for your browser.
Pay Bill CenHub Store Report Outage Outage Status Outage Map Report Gas Odor
Residential Customer Rights
Residential Customer Rights » Central Hudson » About Us » Residential Customer Rights

New York State Public Service Commission (PSC) rules and the Home Energy Fair Practices Act (HEFPA) provide comprehensive protections for residential customers of gas and electric utilities.  This webpage contains basic information about Central Hudson’s policies and procedures and your rights as a customer billed under general residential, religious or residential time-of-use rates. You can view or download a copy of our detailed Rights & Responsibilities pamphlet, or call Customer Account Services to have a pamphlet mailed to you.

To ask about your service or your bill, or to report an emergency, call Customer Account Services at (845) 452-2700 or (800) 527-2714. Please have your account number and any needed documents available. Emergencies can be reported 24 hours a day, seven days a week.  Answers to our customers’ most commonly asked questions can be found at our website’s “FAQs”  (Frequently Asked Questions) section.

To pay your bill online or access account information click here and sign onto “CenHub My Account.”

To report a natural gas odor, call (800) 942-8274.

Before you dig or excavate, call (800) 962-7962, or simply dial 811, to locate all underground utility services.
Hearing-impaired customers may use our toll-free TDD service at (800) 635-6315.

Whether you have gas or electric service, or both, your Central Hudson bill shows the amount of energy used. 

Effective July 1, 2016, all customers, except customers enrolled in Central Hudson’s net-metering program, will receive their bills monthly. If vision problems make it difficult for you to read our billing statements, large-print versions are available.

Central Hudson bills you for gas and electricity after you use it.  Bills are due and payable upon receipt.  A payment is overdue 23 days after the bill is mailed.  If you pay after the late payment date displayed on the bill, you will also have to pay a late payment charge.  If you are unable to pay your bill by the late payment date, please call us to arrange for a payment agreement.

Central Hudson offers convenient online access to your bills, and secure electronic payment options through eBills

Convenient Options to Pay Your Bills

We offer several other ways to pay your electricity and natural gas bills:

  • Direct Pay Service offers the convenience of withdrawing your billed amount automatically from your bank account. Pay-By-Check through our automated phone system. To obtain a Direct Pay Service application or a listing of bill payment locations, please check our website or contact Customer Account Services.
  • U.S. mail, by sending a check or money order in the return envelope enclosed with your bill to: Central Hudson Gas & Electric
    284 South Avenue
    Poughkeepsie, NY 12601
  • At a secure drop-box located at each of our five Customer Service Offices
  • At various locations within our service area that accept our bill payments where you will be required to pay a cash service fee. 
  • To pay your Central Hudson bill with your credit or debit card, call (888) 909-4634 or click here. The payment processing agent will charge you a fee for this service. 
We prefer to resolve payment problems before service disconnection is necessary. If you need help, please call us. You may be eligible for emergency benefits or other assistance programs such as a payment agreement, which allows you to pay your past-due amount in monthly installments over a period of time, and is based on your household income and expenses.
  • Pay via text: You can pay your full balance by texting REG to 236-483. To sign up for text service, click here.

Service Disconnection

If we disconnect your service for non-payment, we will do so between 8 a.m. and 4 p.m. Monday through Thursday. Service will be reconnected within 24 hours, when possible, after payment terms are met.  These include payment of the amount due; receipt of the down payment on a payment agreement; if your health or safety is threatened; or a payment is guaranteed by a social services agency.  Central Hudson representatives negotiate in good faith with any customer to get a payment agreement with terms tailored to the customer’s financial circumstances.  If financial information is required from the customer, all information provided will be treated as confidential.

We will not disconnect heat-related service between November 1 and April 15 without first trying to contact you or an adult member of your household.  If loss of service poses a serious health or safety problem, we will continue service for at least 15 days and try to arrange a payment plan. The customer is still responsible for bills and should make reasonable efforts to pay for service.

If you do not get a satisfactory response when you call Central Hudson, please ask to speak with a supervisor or the Operating Supervisor, Community Relations & Consumer Outreach, Paula Coppin, who can be reached at (845) 486-5636. If you are still not satisfied, further assistance is available through our Customer Assistance Referral Program. 

We encourage you to contact the Manager of Customer Account Services, Linda Harrison, at (845) 486-5623, or email

If you are still not satisfied, you may write to the PSC at 90 Church St., 4th Floor, New York, NY 10007-2919, or call their “Helpline” at (800) 342-3377.  No action will be taken while your inquiry is being investigated; however, any amount not in dispute must be paid when due.

Special Protections

Central Hudson provides special protections for elderly, blind and disabled persons; persons on life support equipment or with medical emergencies; and customers receiving Supplemental Security Income benefits, or additional state payments.  We will work with customers to make a satisfactory payment agreement and notify local social services if appropriate. We will not disconnect service during a health or safety emergency.  We also protect persons in two-family dwellings where service is not metered separately.  Customers who qualify should call us, or submit the application for special services in the back of this leaflet.

You may choose a relative, friend, member of the clergy or an agency to receive a third-party notice from us when your service could be disconnected for nonpayment. The third party is NOT responsible for paying the bill, but can contact us on your behalf to work out a payment agreement.  It is important that you keep your contact information up to date with Central Hudson.

Most of these certification forms can be printed from the home page of our website.

Other Billing Services

Other billing services include our Budget Billing Plan, which spreads your energy payments over 12 months, and Time Of Use Billing. More information regarding these programs can be found here.

New Applicants

Applicants for new electricity or natural gas service must have prior service bills paid in full or agree to a deferred payment plan before service can be turned on.  We may require a deposit, which earns annual interest at a rate set by the PSC and which will be returned after one year if your payment record is satisfactory.  Any disputes concerning payment plans or security deposits will be handled in accordance with New York state law.  Any denial of service will be followed within three business days by a written notice clearly stating the reason(s) for denial, precisely what the applicant must do to qualify, and the applicant’s right to investigation and review by the PSC.

If you rent an apartment and have a separate meter from others in your building, we will not charge you for electricity or gas used elsewhere in the building.  We will not discontinue your service for failing to pay for energy used outside your apartment.  If you believe you are being charged for energy others are using, contact Central Hudson to schedule a shared meter investigation.

If you own residential rental property and it is determined a shared meter condition exists, you may be responsible for the cost of utility service registered through that meter. A shared meter condition exists when a utility meter that measures electric or gas service to a tenant’s dwelling unit also measures service to another dwelling unit or to a common area.  If you suspect a shared meter condition exists at your rental property, contact us to schedule an investigation.

If an owner does not ask the utility to investigate a suspected shared meter condition, a one-time assessment of 12 months of all billing will be added to any other charges that the owner is required to pay.

Energy Choice

Energy Choice provides you with the opportunity to purchase your supply of electricity and/or natural gas from non-utility energy services providers (ESCOs).  You may also receive a single bill from Central Hudson, which will include our energy delivery charges as well as your ESCO’s energy supply charges on the same bill, and you would make a single payment to Central Hudson for both charges.

If you do not select an ESCO, we will purchase the energy on your behalf at market prices.  To learn more about Energy Choice, or for a list of eligible ESCOs in our service area, visit our website.

The Home Energy Fair Practices Act (HEFPA) requires that consumer protections be provided by both Central Hudson and ESCOs, and all ESCOs must follow the HEFPA procedures before terminating your commodity service.  In addition, HEFPA now allows an ESCO to request Central Hudson to suspend your delivery service for non-payment of ESCO charges.  If you purchase your energy services from an ESCO you may want to contact your ESCO for more information.

Central Hudson is committed to maintaining the confidentiality, integrity and security of personal information about our customers. Please visit our website to review our privacy policy.

Tenemos disponible un servicio de ayuda en Espanol