Customers who have natural gas have the choice of selecting high value gas appliances that provide economical and dependable service. Gas grills are available to meet the needs of the backyard gourmet, and many fine cooks prefer gas stoves and ranges. Natural gas clothes dryers provide the best value in the home laundry market. Gas fireplaces are clean and convenient.
- Clothes Drying
- Outdoor Gas Grills
- Comfort – Natural gas provides comfort and convenience.
- Cleanliness – Natural gas burns cleanly. There is no soot or smudge to dirty walls, ceilings, drapes, upholstery and roof shingles.
- Efficiency – Natural gas heating systems are available with efficiencies up to 97%. Above all, it maintains its efficiency over time.
- Storage – Natural gas requires no on-site storage. This means no tanks to maintain or take up space in basements and no worries about running out of fuel.
- Environmentally Acceptable – Natural gas is environmentally acceptable and compatible. There are no oil spills during fill-up or contamination of water supplies by spills or leaky tanks.
- Supply – Natural gas is there when you need it; it's a North American fuel.
Customers who have natural gas have the choice of selecting high-value gas appliances which provide economical and dependable service. For example, gas grills are available to meet the needs of the backyard gourmet. And natural gas clothes dryers provide the best value in the home laundry market.
See our list of Gas Heating and Natural Gas Fireplace – Installing Contractors.
If you think you smell natural gas, don’t light or use a match, turn lights on or off, use a flashlight, cell phone, telephone or turn on or off any other electronic device. Leave the building immediately and call Central Hudson as soon as possible at (800) 942-8274. Here are a few other safety tips:
- Never allow children to play with or light gas appliances.
- Keep water heater temperatures below 125 degrees F.
- Be sure to "Call Before You Dig" to ensure that no pipelines are present at your excavation site:
- Inspect and clean all natural gas appliances and their connections regularly.
- Never use a gas oven or range for space heating, or any purpose for which it was not designed.
- Keep combustible materials away from natural gas appliances. Never place or store gasoline, paint, solvents, cleaning products or other flammable materials near a furnace, water heater, or other natural gas appliance. If you do have such materials on your property, even if you do not consider them to be in a location near your natural gas appliance, store them in a fireproof cabinet.
- Ensure that the seal of a national testing agency, such as the American Gas Association or the Underwriters’ Laboratory, appears on any purchased appliance.
- Be sure that the connection has been properly shut off and capped if moving a natural gas appliance for any reason.
**For assistance in downloading and viewing Adobe Acrobat PDF documents, Acrobat Reader help is also available.